« Back to Blog

KFC's 'deep fried rat' and 3 other fast food debacles

Does rat really taste like chicken? Unfortunately, we may never know. 

A man recently accused a KFC restaurant of serving him deep fried rat in place of chicken. DNA evidence aside, you might not blame the guy, as the picture he tweeted of the chicken looked exactly like rat, right down to the stringy (possibly delicious) tail. 

Don't switch your fast food preference too quickly. ABC News reported that lab tests came back positive for 100 percent chicken. The misunderstanding hasn't seemed to impact feelings about the restaurant yet. An Opinion Outpost poll referenced the news story and asked users if they were fans of KFC's fast food. Over half of respondents answered yes.

This isn't the first time a wild rumor has emerged about a fast food chain. Here's the fact and fiction behind some of the stories.

Wendy's severed finger chili: False - sort of
The term finger-food took on a whole new meaning at a San Jose Wendy's restaurant in 2005. Was there a severed finger in a cup of the chain's chili? Yes, but it was all part of a scam coordinated by patron Anna Aayala and her husband Jaime Plascencia. The two collected a finger after a co-worker of Plascencia lost it in an industrial accident. 

Aayala later cooked the finger, dropped it in her chili cup and complained to management, intending to sue. The couple later admitted to their wrongdoing in court and received jail sentences.

KFC's mutant chicken farm: False
This isn't the first time KFC got egg on its face following a ridiculous rumor. You might remember the story of KFC's genetically modified chickens that grow multiple legs and wings, making them perfect specimens for the fast food chain. 

The story even linked a supposed study conducted by the University of New Hampshire, explaining the existence of the Frankenstein chickens. The university later released its own statement.

"An active Internet hoax, of the urban legend type, falsely claims that KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) is using genetically engineered organisms instead of chickens," a statement posted on the university's website read, according to Business Insider. "The hoax includes reference to an unspecified study of KFC done at the University of New Hampshire and there is no such research or study that was done here."

12 percent of Taco Bell's beef isn't beef: True
This may sound counterproductive, but Taco Bell actively publicized the 88 percent beef recipe on its website last year to battle other Internet rumors, according to Time magazine. The other 12 percent contains parts of the chain's signature recipe, including Soy Lecithin, Maltodextrin, Torula Yeast and Trehalose.

They're all little-known words but completely safe and unsuspicious ingredients according to a dietician and a chemist that were interviewed by Time.

This move by Taco Bell followed accusations that the company used grade-D beef. To get things straight, there's no such thing as grade-D beef, according to Snopes. The U.S. Food Safety and Inspection Service uses a pass and fail system without any letters, while the U.S. Department of Agriculture uses the terms prime, choice, select, standard, commercial, utility, cutter, and canner.

Neither organization uses the term grade-D.


« Back to Blog
Join for free!

Why sign up?

Nobody's voice is as powerful as yours. As a consumer, you are uniquely positioned to share your perspective with businesses, telling them what you expect in order for them to receive your money in a transaction. So, why not make money online by taking surveys that provide information to your favorite company?